Martinů, Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra, Czech Philharmonic Chorus Conducted By Sir Charles Mackerras - The Greek Passion (Opera In 4 Acts) album download
- Recorded At – Stadion Hall, Brno
- Bass Vocals [Fortis, Priest Of The Refugees] – Geoffrey Moses
- Bass Vocals [Grigoris, Priest Of Lykovrissi] – John Tomlinson
- Bass Vocals [Old Man, A Refugee], Bass Vocals [Patriarcheas, A Village Elder] – David Gwynne
- Chorus – Czech Philharmonic Chorus, Kühn Children's Chorus*
- Chorus Master [Czech Philharmonic Chorus] – Josef Veselka
- Composed By, Libretto By – Bohuslav Martinů
- Conductor – Sir Charles Mackerras
- Directed By [Dialogues] – Michael Geliot
- Engineer [Recording Engineer] – Václav Zamazal
- Liner Notes  – Jan Smaczny
- Mezzo-soprano Vocals [Old Woman] – Catherine Savory
- Musical Assistance – Anthony Negus
- Orchestra – Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra
- Recording Supervisor [Recording Director] – Milan Slavický
- Soprano Vocals [Despinio, A Refugee] – Jana Jonášová
- Soprano Vocals [Katerina, A Young Widow] – Helen Field
- Soprano Vocals [Lenio] – Rita Cullis
- Soprano Vocals [Nikolios, A Shepherd Boy] – Catherine Savory
- Speech [Ladas] – Michael Geliot
- Tenor Vocals [Yannakos, A Pedlar] – Arthur Davies
- Tenor Vocals [Andonis, A Barber] – Jeffrey Lawton
- Tenor Vocals [Kostandis, A Cafe Owner] – Phillip Joll
- Tenor Vocals [Manolios, A Shepherd] – John Mitchinson
- Tenor Vocals [Michelis, Son Of Patriarcheas] – John Harris
- Tenor Vocals [Panais, Katerina's Lover] – Jeffrey Lawton
- Text By [Based On The Novel "Christ Recrucified" By] – Nikos Kazantzakis
- Text By [Text Revised By] – Brian Large
Noteswith 2 b/w booklet.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 8596910361123
|1116 3611/2||Martinů*, Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra, Czech Philharmonic Chorus Conducted By Sir Charles Mackerras||Martinů*, Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra, Czech Philharmonic Chorus Conducted By Sir Charles Mackerras - The Greek Passion (Opera In 4 Acts) (2xLP + Box)||Supraphon||1116 3611/2||Czechoslovakia||1981|
|KSUP 3611/2||Martinů* - Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra, Czech Philharmonic Chorus, Sir Charles Mackerras||Martinů* - Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra, Czech Philharmonic Chorus, Sir Charles Mackerras - The Greek Passion (2xCass, Album + Box)||Supraphon||KSUP 3611/2||Czechoslovakia||1981|
Chorus Master – Josef Veselka. Composed By, Libretto By – Bohuslav Martinů. Conductor – Sir Charles Mackerras. Directed By – Michael Geliot. Engineer – Václav Zamazal. Liner Notes – Jan Smaczny. Mezzo-soprano Vocals – Catherine Savory. Musical Assistance – Anthony Negus. Orchestra – Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra. Recording Supervisor – Milan Slavický. Soprano Vocals – Jana Jonášová.
Chorus Master – Josef Veselka.
Martinu - The Greek Passion. I found the performance under Libor Pesek impressive, but Mackerras, with the Brno State Philharmonic Orchestra, Kühn Children's Chorus and Czech Philharmonic Chorus, is very hard to beat.
The Greek Passion (Czech Řecké pašije) is an opera in four acts by Bohuslav Martinů. The opera exists in two versions. Martinů wrote the original version from 1954 to 1957.
The Česká filharmonie (Czech Philharmonic) is a Czech symphony orchestra based in Prague. The orchestra's principal concert venue is the Rudolfinum. The name "Czech Philharmonic Orchestra" appeared for the first time in 1894, as the title of the orchestra of the Prague National Theatre. It played its first concert under its current name on January 4, 1896 when Antonín Dvořák conducted his own compositions, but it did not become fully independent from the opera until 1901. The second version received its first UK production at Welsh National Opera on 29 April 1981, conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. The first US production was in 1981, at the Metropolitan Opera, in a production by the Indiana University School of Music. However, the first version was later restored under the supervision of Aleš Březina. The restored version was produced at Covent Garden in April 2000.
Prague Philharmonic Choir - (chorus master: Josef Veselka) Kühn Children´s Chorus - (chorus master: Jiri Chvala). This Supraphon recording of The Greek Passion, in the original English, is a great success. The singers include John Mitchinson, John Tomlinson, Arthur Davies, Geoffrey Moses, Helen Field and many stalwarts of the Welsh company. The Czech orchestra is in fine form and the playing idiomatic and committed.
In 1957 it was however rejected by the Covent Garden Board for what now seem rather flimsy reasons.
The Greek Passion" (Czech "Řecké pašije") is an opera in four acts by Bohuslav Martinů. The libretto, by the composer, is based on the novel "The Greek Passion" (or "Christ Recrucified") by Nikos Kazantzakis. He offered this original version of the opera in 1957 to the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, where the music director, Rafael Kubelík, and the general administrator, John Webster, had approved the score for production . The second version received its first UK production at Welsh National Opera in April 1981, conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras.